The US and Iran are conducting "unofficial" peace talks, according to Trump
On the 60-day deadline set in the Peace Memorandum, the US president has insisted that Iran should surrender and has threatened to bomb Oman if it intervenes in the management of the Strait of Hormuz.
Tensions in the Middle East remain high, and the war between Iran and the US does not appear to be on track to end in the short term, despite US President Donald Trump's acknowledgement on Monday that his country and Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard are holdingpeace talks\u00A0 throughan "unofficial channel of communication" .
Trump has made these statements in a telephone conversation on Fox News, the day the 60-day deadline set out in the June 17 Memorandum between Tehran and Washington. Iranian authorities have also offered an interview to a television station on this marked day and have ensured that Iran will "go on the offensive" and have "several surprises prepared for the enemy."
According to the US president, the US negotiating team is holding talks with representatives of the Revolutionary Guard, excluding Iranian government officials and mediators. In his view, the ayatollahs should "pull out the white flag of surrender." Trump once again sees Iran's defeat close: "They are good poker players, but they are coming to an end," he said.
Donald Trump is trying to give an image of calm, suggesting that the nearly six months of conflict have no effect, but there is growing concern within the Republican Party about the potential impact of this conflict on theNovember midterm elections.
With regard to negotiationsbetween Iran and Oman over the Strait of Hormuz, Trump has so far threatened to mediate with the A0 country: "If Oman gets in our way, we will bomb it until it is destroyed, "the head of the White House warned.
The deadline set by the Memorandum is over.
Prior to the broadcast of the Fox News interview, Trump has posted a message on the social network Truth Social that the main goal of the United States is to prevent Iran from possessing nuclear weapons .
This Monday ended the 60-day deadline set by the June agreement to take steps towards peace, a strictly symbolic deadline, given that no progress has been made towards peace during this time, that both sides have bombed strategic areas and that fighting between the military has been constant.
In addition, the Strait of Hormuz remains closed and oil pricesremain high.
You might like
The U.S. flag, a protective tool against Israeli settlers
Loui Ridi has decided to leave Ohio and return to the West Bank to defend his home and family from Israeli settlers.
Brussels supports the return of minor migrants in Ceuta to Morocco
European Commission spokesman Markus Lammert has insisted that all illegal migrants in the autonomous city must be returned, and has hoped that the Spanish and Moroccan authorities will work to ensure this.
Forest fires do not give a truce in Europe
Dozens of fires have ravaged the entire continent this summer. According to data from the European Forest Fire Information System (EFFIS), 576,027 hectares were burned in the territory until August 12.
Trump announces U.S. reduction of joint military exercises with South Korea
The President of the United States announced on Sunday that Seoul has made this decision because of its refusal to join the war against Iran and because of its "excellent relationship" with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
They have managed to control the last fire in the countryside, and some of the evacuees will be able to return home
The General Secretary of the Landes Prefecture warned, however, that "the fact that the fire is under control does not mean that it is extinguished, so we must be very vigilant."
Iran says its "defensive" stance will be "aggressive" and announces "surprises"
"Anyone who captures or kills a member of the attacking forces in the United States will receive $30,000 (about €21.5 billion) or 5 billion Iranian rials," General Hatami announced in statements collected by the IRNA news agency.
Ten Palestinians have been shot dead in another attack by Israeli settlers in the West Bank
The Pope has called for "an end to violence against the Palestinian civilian population in the West Bank" and urgently called on the international community "to advance the two-state solution for a just and lasting peace."
The Landes fire has improved, but the fire is still under control
The fire has already affected 1,700 hectares and some 550 firefighters are working on extinction work, while some 650 people are still evacuated.
Morocco says it has thwarted hundreds of migrants' attempts to reach Ceuta
Moroccan security forces claim to have dispersed migrants, mostly of sub-Saharan origin, who were hiding in a mountainous area of Castillejos.